In Case Of A Grease Fire..
Grease Fire Do's and Dont's
There are many different ways a fire can break out, one of the most dangerous being a grease fire. If you lack experience putting out a grease fire, know that you do not treat it the same as you would a "standard" fire. There are certain things that you must do and things you absolutely must NOT do. Please consider the following:
- Turn off the stove or heat source
- Smother the fire with the pot lid. Without oxygen, the fire cannot survive.
- Use baking soda to douse the flames. Flour and other items will not work
- Use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher
- call 911
- Try to put out the flames using water. It will splash the grease, causing the fire to spread
- Move the item. This could also cause splashing, spreading and could potentially burn you
- Try to use anything other than baking soda. It will not help